Presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has pledged to uphold democratic values and refrain from using political power to persecute opponents if elected president.
Speaking during an interview with DW, Obi emphasized the importance of strengthening democratic institutions and fostering a healthy opposition that can hold government accountable. According to him, a functioning democracy requires a system where differing political views are respected and encouraged.
The former Anambra State Governor stated that his administration would focus on ensuring that public institutions operate effectively and independently, rather than being used as tools for political retaliation.
“The system must work the way it should function. I would never prosecute anybody politically, and I would never do anything wrong while in office,” Obi said.
He further stressed that he would not pursue political opponents after assuming office. Instead, he said he would encourage the existence of strong opposition parties capable of challenging government decisions when necessary.
Obi noted that national challenges require collective efforts and consultations across political divides. Using the security situation in Northern Nigeria as an example, he said he would engage opposition leaders and regional stakeholders in discussions aimed at finding lasting solutions.
“I would make sure that we have strong opposition parties that can stand and say no. In times of problems, I would invite them. If I was president with what is happening in the North, I would invite all opposition parties and sit with stakeholders to discuss solutions,” he added.
Kwankwaso Reaffirms One-Term Agreement
Meanwhile, former Kano State Governor and NDC vice-presidential candidate for the 2027 election, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, has reiterated that Peter Obi would serve only one term if elected president.
Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today programme, Kwankwaso described Obi as a leader of integrity and expressed confidence that he would honor the agreement reached within the party.
According to Kwankwaso, the one-term arrangement has been formally documented through agreements signed by both parties as well as the NDC leadership.
“I personally believe him, and I don’t think, based on what I now know about him, that he will renege. We have put the agreement on paper, one with the party and one between the two of us,” Kwankwaso stated.
Looking Ahead to 2031
Kwankwaso also hinted at the possibility of pursuing the presidency in 2031. He referenced Nigeria’s informal power-rotation principle, arguing that after a potential Obi administration, it would be the turn of Northern Nigeria to produce the country's next president.
The latest remarks from both leaders are expected to fuel political discussions ahead of the 2027 general elections, as the NDC continues to position itself as a major contender in Nigeria’s evolving political landscape.

No comments:
Post a Comment